Accessibility help: Windows version
Speech output using Window's Narrator
To start Narrator:
- Open the ' Start ' menu by clicking on the ' Start ' button or by pressing the Windows logo key (located between the Ctrl and Alt keys on most keyboards), alternatively press ' Ctrl ' + ' Esc ' .
- Click on ' All Programs ' or alternatively press ' P ' on the keyboard until All Programs is highlighted and then press ' Enter ' .
- Click on ' Accessories ' or press ' A ' on the keyboard until ' Accessories ' is highlighted and then press ' Enter ' .
- Click on ' Accessibility ' or if you are using the keyboard, it will already be highlighted so just press ' Enter '.
- Click on ' Narrator ' or press' N ' until ' Narrator' is highlighted and then press ' Enter '.
- The ' Microsoft Narrator ' window will then appear and ' Narrator ' immediately starts talking and reads out the instructions on how to use this feature.
After clicking on the ' OK ' button or pressing ' Enter ' , another window appears which has various options which you can select by clicking on the checkbox or tabbing to the checkbox and pressing the ' Spacebar ' . You can also adjust the voice settings from here by clicking on the ' Voice ' button or pressing ' V ' on the keyboard.
Making text larger using Explorer 7
For the first time in Internet Explorer a zoom feature is included which allows you to enlarge the whole browser window. to do this press ' Ctrl ' + ' + ' to increase the zoom and ' Ctrl ' + ' - ' to decrease the zoom.
You can also change the text size. The way to do this does depend on how the site has been built.
For many sites you only need to do the following:
- Open the ' Page ' menu with the mouse or by pressing ' Alt'+'P ' .
- Select the ' Text Size ' option with the mouse or by pressing ' X '.
- Choose your preferred text size by clicking on it or by using the up and down arrow keys to select it and then press ' Enter ' .
The text on the website should now have changed to reflect your choice.
Some websites have fixed the size of their text and as a result these websites will not show the change you have just made. If you would like to use larger text on these sites follow the following steps:
- Click on the ' Tools ' menu with the mouse or press ' Alt '+' O ' .
- Click on ' Internet Options ' option with the mouse or press ' O ' . You should now see the ' Internet Options ' box as shown in Fig 2 below.
Click on the ' Accessibility ' button or press ' Alt '+ ' E ' .
In the Accessibility box click the ' Ignore font sizes specified on web page ' checkbox to add a tick or press ' Alt '+' Z '.
Click the ' OK ' button to return to the Internet Options box.
Click on the ' OK ' button, or press ' Tab ' until ' OK ' is selected and then press ' Enter ' to return to Internet Explorer.