DR IAN ADAMS
Chromosomes and Gene Expression
|Telephone:||+44 (0)131 332 2471|
|Fax:||+44 (0)131 467 8456|
|Address:||MRC Human Genetics Unit MRC IGMM, University of Edinburgh Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU|
|Research Programme:||Germ Cell Development in Mice|
Germ cell development in mice
Germ cells are responsible for transmitting genetic information from one generation to the next. Meiosis, a specialised form of cell division that halves the number of chromosomes in male and female germ cells, is central to germ cell development and heredity. We are interested in how differences in the timing and regulation of meiosis between male and female germ cells is brought about, and how male and female germ cells protect the genome from mutation.
- Chapman JR, Barral P, Vannier JB, Borel V, Steger M, Tomas-Loba A, Sartori AA, Adams IR, Batista FD, and Boulton SJ. RIF1 Is Essential for 53BP1-Dependent Nonhomologous End Joining and Suppression of DNA Double-Strand Break Resection. Mol. Cell 49: 858-871. 2013
- Reichmann J, Reddington JP, Best D, Read D, Ollinger R, Meehan RR, and Adams IR. 2013. The genome-defence gene Tex19.1 suppresses LINE-1 retrotransposons in the placenta and prevents intra-uterine growth retardation in mice. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2013
- Hackett JA, Reddington JP, Nestor CE, Dunican DS, Branco MR, Reichmann J, Reik W, Surani MA, Adams IR, Meehan RR: Promoter DNA methylation couples genome-defence mechanisms to epigenetic reprogramming in the mouse germline
Development 139:3623-3632, 2012.
- Reichmann J, Crichton JH, Madej MJ, Taggart M, Gautier P, Garcia-Perez JL, Meehan RR, Adams IR: Microarray analysis of LTR retrotransposon silencing identifies hdac1 as a regulator of retrotransposon expression in mouse embryonic stem cells. PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002486, 2012.
- Chassot AA, Gregoire EP, Lavery R, Taketo MM, de Rooij DG, Adams IR, Chaboissier MC: RSPO1/beta-catenin signaling pathway regulates oogonia differentiation and entry into meiosis in the mouse fetal ovary
PLoS One 6:e25641, 2011.PubMed Abstract
- Madsen L, Kriegenburg F, Vala A, Best D, Prag S, Hofmann K, Seeger M, Adams IR, Hartmann-Petersen R: The tissue-specific Rep8/UBXD6 tethers p97 to the endoplasmic reticulum membrane for degradation of misfolded proteins. PLoS One 6:e25061, 2011. PubMed Abstract
- Best, D. and Adams, I.R. Sdmg1 is a component of secretory granules in mouse secretory exocrine tissues. Dev Dyn 238(1):223-231, 2009 PubMed Abstract
- Kocer, A.; Reichmann, J.; Best, D. and Adams, I.R. Germ Cell Sex Determination in Mammals.
Mol Hum Reprod 15(4):205-213, 2009 PubMed Abstract
- Best, D.; Sahlender, D.A.; Walther, N.; Peden, A.A. and Adams, I.R. Sdmg1 is a conserved transmembrane protein associated with germ cell sex determination and germline-soma interactions in mice. Development 135(8):1415-1425, 2008 PubMed Abstract
- Ollinger, R.; Childs, A.J.; Burgess, H.M.; Speed, R.M.; Lundegaard, P.R.; Reynolds, N.; Gray, N.K.; Cooke, H.J. and Adams, I.R. Deletion of the pluripotency-associated Tex19.1 gene causes activation of endogenous retroviruses and defective spermatogenesis in mice. PLoS Genet 4(9):e1000199, 2008 PubMed Abstract
- Adams, I.R. and McLaren, A. Sexually dimorphic development of mouse primordial germ cells: switching from oogenesis to spermatogenesis. Development 129(5): 1155-1164, 2002